Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Balancing life and fishing

  It is inevitable that if we vow to spend more time doing something we enjoy the cosmos will take affront and do whatever is necessary to make sure we can not succeed.  For months I had set it upon myself to spend every waking moment of the waning year on my kayak chasing finned quarry.  My job over the past year had been tied to warm weather which meant that I would be free from other obligations during the fall and winter freeing me up to take advantage of some of the best fishing of the year....or so I thought.
  With visions of lunker bass and hard charging striper on the end of my line day after day, I worked hard through spring and summer.  The first signs of leaves turning vermillion and gold had my mind racing toward the time when work would end and my life would revolve entirely around fishing.  In preparation for the months ahead with  little income I decided I would try to land a part-time job to sustain me but that would also give me ample time to pursue my passion.  Unbeknownst to me the universe had other plans.  Instead of one employer and a few hours a week, I was hired by two separate companies and found myself working more than ever and fishing a lot less.
  I am telling this story to emphasize the challenges we all face when it comes to balancing the hobbies we love, or even obsess over, and living a responsible life.  I made a deliberate decision to take on a new career that provides financial stability as well as a part-time job at a place I love to spend time knowing it would be detrimental to the time I had hoped to spend wetting a line.  The key to my decision was keeping in mind my long term goals and not allowing my shortsighted desire to blind me to what I ultimately want to achieve which is FISHING MORE.  
  If you always keep your goals at the forefront then balancing your hobby and your day to day life will be much more enjoyable and productive.  Do not let the impulsiveness of today ruin the greatness of tomorrow, and as a side note I now have tons more time to fish so it is all working out in the end thanks to the infinite wisdom of the divine plan.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment